We are currently accepting applications for the following position:
- Development Director
The Human Race Theatre Company, recognized nationally for its innovative programming and new work development, seeks to fill the position of Development Director. With a focus on great storytelling and producing shows that revel in our humanity, The Human Race has been the region’s premier professional theatre for 34 years.
The Development Director provides strategic direction for a comprehensive development program for The Human Race Theatre Company (HRTC), including the Loft series, general operating support, and special project support. In addition, this individual, with the Executive & Artistic Directors, is a member of the HRTC executive leadership team and builds new and future audiences and additional revenue streams for alternative programming. This position will be integral to HRTC’s upcoming 35th Anniversary celebration and campaign initiatives.
S/he oversees a program encompassing endowment development, annual giving, planned giving, corporate sponsorships, stewardship, and major gifts from individuals, corporations, and foundations. The position requires a proven track record as a successful hands-on development officer who has secured five and six figure gifts, preferably with an organization with multiple stakeholders, who is proficient using Raiser’s Edge, and who is skilled at closing gifts and taking the lead in identifying, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding major gift level individuals, corporations and foundations. This position may supervise a staff, interns or volunteers.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible and accountable for the development, implementation, management, and evaluation of an overall development program
- Provides impetus and support to the fundraising efforts of the Board, Executive Director and Artistic Director by executing all annual, sponsorship, capital, endowment, and planned giving programs, as well as fundraising and stewardship events
- Lead initiatives to achieve goals defined in the HRTC’s strategic plan, and further develop long-range audience development goals and strategies
- Participates in strategic planning, tracks progress of the strategic plan’s development goals and objectives, staffs the Marketing and Development Committee, attends and reports at board meetings
- Provides timely and accurate reports to the Executive Director, Artistic Director, Director of Finance and Operations, Development Committee Chair and the Board
- Develops & maintains the Encore Society for HRTC planned giving donors
- Designs and implements strategies to achieve or to exceed annual fundraising goals
- Supervises the application, reporting and tracking processes for all grants
- Ensures proper record-keeping and stewardship of all gifts from individuals and institutions
- Develops and monitors budgets for all events and campaigns
- Works with Executive Director and Director of Finance and Operations on future season budget goals and expectations
- Maintains a master calendar of fundraising events and campaigns
- Uses moves management in Raiser’s Edge to track prospect and donor visits
- Coordinates, with Executive Director and Artistic Director, marketing efforts to expand and unite audience and donor relations.
In addition to the duties listed above, HRTC expects the following of each employee: adhere to theatre’s policies and procedures; work in a safe manner; perform duties as workload necessitates; maintain a positive and respectful attitude; communicate regularly with supervisor about department issues; demonstrate efficient time management and prioritize workload; demonstrate regular and consistent attendance and punctuality; meet department productivity standards; participate in HRTC events as needed or required; and complete other duties as assigned.
Please send a cover letter and resume detailing experience that meets above described duties along with three references with contact information to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please state the following in the memo line:
“Development Director Application: (Last Name, First Name)”
Please do not call or email to follow up. All submissions will be reviewed and responded to as promptly as possible under current circumstances. Incomplete applications will not be considered. The Human Race prides itself on fully representing and reflecting the community on stage and in our workforce – candidates of color and diverse backgrounds strongly encouraged to apply.